My Hip Replacement Journey Day 1

Week 1 and the first day very intense

I have had osteoarthritis for 22 years in my hips. I have had my left hip resurfaced 12 years ago at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham. I have recently had my right hip replaced at the same hospital on the 10th  December 2018.

This is my recovery story using rehabilitation exercises and functional fitness movements. Most importantly I used InterX therapy for Pain, Inflammation relief with no medication, the InterX device also promotes accelerated healing.

Always a lot happier when the surgery is done and you are recovering

Successful operation for Hip replacement Surgery at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital

Day 1

Like lots of patients I arrive early at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital just before 7am. The waiting room fills up and we are gradually called for final checks and to go through what feels like the same questions over and over again.

Meet one of the surgical team and go through the planned procedure one last time, It's the same surgeon I had for my last operation so feel in safe hands as had no issues with my other hip after 12 years. Entering the pre surgery room is a bit like jumping into cold water as it makes it feel very real. You are reassured but you know it's really happening and while been apprehensive at first I did relax and after a short count was out cold....

Waking up post any surgery is different for everyone but the overwhelming feeling is always one of relief! It takes a while to focus and fully assess your surroundings. The nursing and support staff are great and reassure you and a tea is always the order of the day. At this point connected to lower leg compression machines and IV drips the magnitude of the surgery hits home, first thing I did was to move my hip and leg just a fraction, yes a success, Tea time.

You have some food and pleasantries with patients around you but your focus now is visitors, particularly close family, in my case my wife and 8 year old daughter who arrive straight from school. Emotions are always hard as you try to convey you are fine and it went well, but always look the worst for wear.

I had the visit from the surgeon and get the positive news that the operation was a success and that it went without complication. The physiotherapy team arrive to get you out of bed and standing, which is fine getting out of bed as gravity helps, getting back in is much harder. I was measured for crutches and went for a little walk and felt surprisingly OK.

Getting back in bed is always hard as you have to manoeuvre  your operated leg and then it hurts as its at a weak point. You then get to grips with small movements in the bed to try and get comfortable and rest. Dinner time and visitors have to leave for an hour, always odd eating and drinking initially as you struggle to go to the toilet due to medication and you never want much.

Time even a few hours is a great healer and returning visitors and a desire to get moving mean I get out of bed and have a sit down feels great to be more normal. Visiting time over and back to bed to be woken every few hours with medication so the body will accept the new joint and not reject it.

About the Author